Boxing: Islington boxer John Ryder to be trained by Kevin Mitchell
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Ryder switches trainers at Matchroom gym
Islington super middleweight John Ryder is now being trained by former world title challenger Kevin Mitchell at the Matchroom gym in Brentwood.
“Tony Sims has passed John onto me because he felt he needed a new trainer to give him a different approach,” said Mitchell.
Ryder has come up short three times in British title fights, though in two of those championship bouts, the 28-year-old came close to take Lonsdale belt.
Mitchell has been serving his coaching apprenticeship under Sims by helping out with some of the Matchroom boxers based at the Essex gym.
You may also want to watch:
During his own boxing career, Mitchell himself was trained by Sims, initially as an amateur and in the final years of his professional career.
Mitchell also took part in four world title fights during his 12-year career, something which Ryder will no doubt look to draw upon in the coming months.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails