Boxing: Islington boxer John Ryder to be trained by Kevin Mitchell
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Ryder switches trainers at Matchroom gym
Islington super middleweight John Ryder is now being trained by former world title challenger Kevin Mitchell at the Matchroom gym in Brentwood.
“Tony Sims has passed John onto me because he felt he needed a new trainer to give him a different approach,” said Mitchell.
Ryder has come up short three times in British title fights, though in two of those championship bouts, the 28-year-old came close to take Lonsdale belt.
Mitchell has been serving his coaching apprenticeship under Sims by helping out with some of the Matchroom boxers based at the Essex gym.
You may also want to watch:
During his own boxing career, Mitchell himself was trained by Sims, initially as an amateur and in the final years of his professional career.
Mitchell also took part in four world title fights during his 12-year career, something which Ryder will no doubt look to draw upon in the coming months.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting