Boxing: Islington senior trio progress
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club had five senior boxers in action at the London Development Championships at Tottenham Sports Hall at the weekend.
Slavisa Gegic (under-64kg) was up first against Repton’s Rehan Uddin and claimed a narrow victory in his first outing since moving down to light-welterweight.
Gegic was cut early in the first round, but the doctor allowd him to continue and Uddin received two warnings for dangerous use of the head.
And those deducted points were key to Gegic’s victory as he won on a 4-1 split decision to progress to the London semi finals against Dhaniel Ram (East London BA).
Chris Cunningham (under-75kg) had a slow start against Kwame Owusu-Boateng (Afewee ABC), but started to find his range in the second round and outworked his rival in the last round to take a unanimous points victory.
You may also want to watch:
Byron Cox (under-56kg) was involved in one of the better bouts of the day with Amechi Chijioke (Double Jab) and, after losing the first round, he came back into the contest to claim the second round.
A late flurry at the end of the final round must have swayed the bout in his favour as Cox earned a 3-2 split decision and a clash with Saleem Humza (Westside ABC) on Sunday.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
Simon Collins (under-69kg) took part in his first contest in just over a year but lost a 4-1 split decision to Elijah Enegbenebho (Repton ABC) in their semi-final.
Ekene Ikedife (under-86kg) came up against Repton’s Will Hamilton and despite plenty of effort was on the back foot for most of the bout, receiving a standing eight count on his way to a unanimous points defeat.
Aaron Nicely (under-81kg) received a Class B walkover against Repton’s Aidan Cassidy, after his opponent failed to weigh in, and will box Khara Balraj (Westside ABC) this weekend.
Islington youngster Jayven Wilson (under-70kg) lost his junior Class B content against the the talented John O’Donnell (Hooks ABC) on Sunday.
O’Donnell constantly moved in and out to pick off WIlson with his long reach, before the referee eventually called off the contest in the last round.