Boxing: Islington Sobell club go from strength to strength
- Credit: Archant
The Islington Sobell Boxing Club continues to go from strength to strength after being founded earlier this year.
The club was set up in July after funding was agreed and put in place by the Metropolitan Police.
Training at the Sobell Leisure Centre in Hornsey Road, the club is a joint-venture between Met Police and Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL).
Since being founded in July, the club now has 108 members on their books who all train weekly.
As part of the venture, three Sobell staff members obtained Level One and Two training certificates from an ABA course to coach and assist in the delivery of the sessions.
You may also want to watch:
The club trains every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 4.30-8pm, offering sessions to all groups within Islington, specialising in disadvantage groups within the neighbourhood.
The project has been such a success, GLL and Met Police are looking to roll it out in other academies across London.
• For more information, visit www.better.org.uk.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension