Boxing: Islington Sobell club go from strength to strength
- Credit: Archant
The Islington Sobell Boxing Club continues to go from strength to strength after being founded earlier this year.
The club was set up in July after funding was agreed and put in place by the Metropolitan Police.
Training at the Sobell Leisure Centre in Hornsey Road, the club is a joint-venture between Met Police and Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL).
Since being founded in July, the club now has 108 members on their books who all train weekly.
As part of the venture, three Sobell staff members obtained Level One and Two training certificates from an ABA course to coach and assist in the delivery of the sessions.
You may also want to watch:
The club trains every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 4.30-8pm, offering sessions to all groups within Islington, specialising in disadvantage groups within the neighbourhood.
The project has been such a success, GLL and Met Police are looking to roll it out in other academies across London.
• For more information, visit www.better.org.uk.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother