Boxing: Islington Sobell club go from strength to strength
- Credit: Archant
The Islington Sobell Boxing Club continues to go from strength to strength after being founded earlier this year.
The club was set up in July after funding was agreed and put in place by the Metropolitan Police.
Training at the Sobell Leisure Centre in Hornsey Road, the club is a joint-venture between Met Police and Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL).
Since being founded in July, the club now has 108 members on their books who all train weekly.
As part of the venture, three Sobell staff members obtained Level One and Two training certificates from an ABA course to coach and assist in the delivery of the sessions.
You may also want to watch:
The club trains every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 4.30-8pm, offering sessions to all groups within Islington, specialising in disadvantage groups within the neighbourhood.
The project has been such a success, GLL and Met Police are looking to roll it out in other academies across London.
• For more information, visit www.better.org.uk.
- 1 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 2 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 7 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets