Boxing: Islington youngsters show form
- Credit: Archant
Islington juniors were in action at various shows at the weekend.
Harley Ouzman, 14, had his first skills contest at 40kg, facing Marcus Corcoran at the Northolt ABC show at Barnhill Community Centre on Friday.
A team of juniors then took part in inter-club sparring at Rumbles Boxing Academy in Sittingbourne on Saturday, before two young fighters travelled to the Earlsfield ABC show on Sunday.
Kyron Hughes and Kervern Kiala both took their contests at short notice and battled through the snow to compete in south London.
Hughes, 14, started off slow against Earlsfield’s Josiah Viera and conceded the opening round, but upped his work rate to earn a unanimous decision for his third win in two weeks.
You may also want to watch:
Kiala, 16, was back in the ring after nearly two years away and lost the first round to Earlsfield’s Andrew Corbyn, but gave his rival a standing eight count in a third-round stoppage win.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing