Search

Injured Islington fighter stays positive despite missing York Hall bout

PUBLISHED: 17:07 26 March 2015 | UPDATED: 17:07 26 March 2015

Georgie Kean (right) vs Kevin McCauley. Pic: Chris Royle/TGSPHOTO

Georgie Kean (right) vs Kevin McCauley. Pic: Chris Royle/TGSPHOTO

Chris Royle/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY

Islington light-middleweight Georgie Kean says he is putting his time to good use as he waits to learn the extent of a troublesome knuckle injury.

Kean had been due to box on Friday for the first time in four months at York Hall, but was forced to withdraw because of his injured right hand.

The former Times ABC amateur will undergo an X-ray on the knuckle, which first began causing him problems in the build-up to his last fight, against Kevin McCauley in November.

In the meantime, Kean is determined to retain a positive outlook as he hones his skills in the gym under the guidance of trainer Gary 
Logan.

“It was going to be my first six-rounder as well, so I’m gutted about that, but I’m just trying to keep my mind and body healthy,” the 23-year-old told the Gazette.

“You pick up these injuries – it’s the name of the game and you’ve got to stay positive, get a bit of rest and let it heal. Hopefully I’ll be up and running again soon.

“I’ve been doing a lot of work with my left hand, sharpening my jab and my footwork.

“I need to improve my jab and my aim is to go into my next fight with a jab as good as Oscar De La Hoya’s.

“These things happen and it makes me that bit stronger – you can sit around and be idle but I’m always a glass half-full kind of man and it’s better to be working all the time.

“I’ve been watching a lot of videos of fights on YouTube, picking up things I know I can use in the future, so it’s been like spending time doing my homework.”

Kean, who has won five of his six professional contests to date, is hoping to attend Friday’s Queensberry Promotions show as a spectator to support some of his stablemates in action.

Ovill McKenzie’s British and Commonwealth cruiserweight title clash with Matty Askin heads the bill, with light-heavyweight Miles Shinkwin, super-middleweight Tom Baker and featherweight Mitchell Smith also featuring.

“Ideally I’m aiming to be back in May,” added Kean. “I need to get an X-ray as soon as possible to see what’s going on, get things sorted and plan for the future.

“Sometimes you can get carried away hitting the bags and that, but the problem kept coming back and I realised I couldn’t do it. 
Especially when you’re hitting someone’s head, you really feel it.

“My hand does feel like it’s bruised, but it also seems like there are bits and pieces moving around in there. Whatever happens, the sooner I get this looked at the sooner I can plan my next move.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Islington Gazette