Search

Islington boxer excited by chance to secure his first pro belt at York Hall

PUBLISHED: 16:45 13 January 2016 | UPDATED: 16:45 13 January 2016

Michael Peart in action against Kristian Laight in November. Pic: Philip Sharkey/TGS Photo

Michael Peart in action against Kristian Laight in November. Pic: Philip Sharkey/TGS Photo

©TGS Photo tgsphoto.co.uk +44 8450 946026

Islington lightweight ‘Mustard’ Mike Peart says it would “mean the world” if he wins his first professional belt at York Hall in March.

The 28-year-old will contest the vacant – and little-known – International Challenge strap on Saturday March 12, in what will be only his fourth professional bout.

And Peart is enthused by the prospect of winning his first honour in the paid ranks, especially after spending more than a year out of action due to reactive arthritis.

He told the Gazette: “I know it’s not the IBF or WBC world title or anything like that, but it might as well be one of those belts from my point of view.

“This time last year I couldn’t even walk, so I’ve got to be thankful and believe. It’ll be amazing to be in there – it’d mean the world to me to win it.

“I’ll give it my all and hopefully it’ll be a stepping stone for when the big belts come along.

“I was surprised by the opportunity, but I sat down with my coaches, Rod Julian and Mickey Cunningham, and we believed it was the right thing to take it.”

Peart is yet to learn the identity of his opponent, although a rematch with Danail Stanoev, who he beat on points in his second professional outing, is a possibility.

The March contest is scheduled for eight rounds – a significant step up for Peart, whose most recent fight, a six-rounder against Kristian Laight in November, was his first experience of going beyond four.

“The idea of doing eight rounds is exciting and it’s only two more rounds than I’ve gone so far – that’s how you’ve got to look at it,” Peart added.

“I’m training hard – it’ll be a little more intense – and I’ll be fit, ready and confident.”

For ticket information about the March show, which is promoted by Goodwin Sports, contact Mike via twitter (@mustard_mike1), facebook or instagram (@mustard_mike).


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Islington Gazette