Kentish Town fighter prepared to wait for title chance
PUBLISHED: 12:52 11 April 2016 | UPDATED: 12:52 11 April 2016
Kian Thomas says he is not worried about securing a quick title fight as he prepares to return to the ring later this month.
The Kentish Town welterweight, who is unbeaten in his five professional outings to date, will be back in action at York Hall on April 29, against an opponent yet to be named.
And, although Thomas has ambitions to box for a belt – most likely the Southern Area strap, held by Tamuka Mucha – he is not setting himself a specific timescale.
“I’m not pressuring myself, saying I’ve got to get the Southern Area title as soon as possible,” Thomas told the Gazette. “I’m not worried about who’s got it either.
“For me it’s all about getting a few more fights, maybe three or four, and then I’ll see what comes my way further down the line. As long as I progress and keep getting better, it’ll all fall into place.
“I saw clips of the last Southern Area title fight and, whoever had won it that day, I’d have been happy to fight them. Ideally I’m looking for an eight-rounder next time but I’ll take whatever we can get.”
The 24-year-old, who was a successful amateur with St Pancras ABC before turning over at the start of 2015, had been due to box on the show in February when Mucha defeated Tommy Tear to become Southern Area champion.
But the fight, against Tottenham’s Mark McKray, was called off after a mix-up led to their meeting being arranged as a light-welterweight clash.
“There was a lot of confusion,” recalled Thomas, who is trained by CJ Hussein. “I fight at welterweight and I was the guy selling the tickets – yet suddenly I was being expected to make his weight and that hadn’t been made clear.
“It wasn’t worth the hassle, so we decided to leave it. Yes, it would have been good to get another fight, but I wasn’t disappointed.
“I’m training every day and preparing for fights all year round, so there wasn’t any time wasted. If someone called up and offered me a fight next week, I’d take it.”
Thomas, who has just returned from a training camp in Marseille, is lined up to spar with Commonwealth light-welterweight champion John Wayne Hibbert during the coming weeks.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.