Canonbury Junior School rule the pool in Islington gala
17 gold medals for primary kings in gala
Canonbury Junior School were the kings of the pool as they stormed to victory in a Primary Schools’ swimming gala on Friday.
With the traditional annual Islington Primary Schools gala not taking place this year due to the temporary closure of Ironmonger Row pool, five of Islington’s strongest swimming schools gathered at Cally Pool on Friday for a ‘mini gala’ instead.
And it was the pupils from Canonbury School in Canonbury Road, Islington, who shone brightest on the day winning both the boys and girls sections and the overall title with a total of 17 gold medals.
Poppy Boswell, Solomon Myers and Aaron Bradley-Shankar led the way for Canonbury, while other gold medal winners were Rosa Millard, Finn Roweth, Ella Sharman, Honey Millard, Francois Patasial, Ruby Kay Dowood, Isabella Rose, Artie O’Regan and Anna Bradley-Shankar as Canonbury finished with a total of 87 points from the 36 races on the day, 16 points clear of the team from second-placed Clerkenwell & Parochial School (71).
You may also want to watch:
Thornhill School (69) from Barnsbury were third, while Hanover School (67) from the Angel were fourth and St Joseph’s Highgate (45) were fifth.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller