Caroline is first girl from Islington Boxing Club to win national schools’ title
- Credit: Archant
Caroline Dubois has become Islington BC’s first ever national schools’ female champion after she triumphed at Saturday’s final in Sheffield.
Dubois, who is also the first boxer from the Hazellville Road club to win any national schools’ title this century, dominated her England Boxing Schools Under-54kg contest against Elise Glyn (Solihull ABC).
The 14-year-old began working immediately behind a solid double jab in the opening round and, despite a four-shot combination from Glyn, the Islington boxer displayed impeccable timing as she caught her taller opponent with repeated right-hand attacks.
A similar pattern continued in the second round as Dubois countered to good effect and launched fast, two-fisted attacks to build up her lead.
Although Glyn displayed more aggression as the fight went on, she was outboxed by the Islington girl, who dominated with counter-punches and clinched a comfortable victory by unanimous decision.
You may also want to watch:
Her national title is the second to be secured by the Dubois family during recent months – elder brother Daniel picked up the Under-91kg crown at the England Youth Boxing Championships in February.
Daniel, who also represents Islington, will be boxing for Great Britain in the European Youth Championships later this year before stepping up to the senior ranks.
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 3 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 4 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 5 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 6 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 7 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 8 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 9 Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visits the Whittington Hospital
- 10 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
There was disappointment for a second Islington fighter in Sheffield, however, with Tommy Kerrigan’s scheduled Under-72kg final being called off when opponent George Cubbin (Croxteth ABC) pulled out due to illness.
It meant that, because the 14-year-old had not boxed in the tournament prior to the final, he was unable to claim the title or a pair of golden gloves under England Boxing rules.
However, the club have submitted an appeal to the governing body on Kerrigan’s behalf.