Chelli beats Sadiq to maintain unbeaten record
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Islington
Ex-Times ABC amateur Zak Chelli came out on top in the battle of the unbeaten super middleweights against Umar Sadiq on a Frank Warren show on Saturday.
The previously unbeaten pair met at the Brentwood Centre in a fight shown live by BT Sport.
Both boxers were fighting eight rounds for the first time in their careers, with Sadiq enjoying a height and reach advantage.
Chelli, however, was able to catch his older rival with a right hand in the opening round of the bout.
You may also want to watch:
With both rivals not wanting to lose their unbeaten records, they were prepared to stand and trade punches for much of the bout.
In the end, Chelli was awarded the decision by referee Chas Coakley to take his record to four wins from four bouts in the paid ranks.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
It has been a fine start to his professional career from Chelli and he will look to continue his development in his next bout.