Chelli beats Sadiq to maintain unbeaten record
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Islington
Ex-Times ABC amateur Zak Chelli came out on top in the battle of the unbeaten super middleweights against Umar Sadiq on a Frank Warren show on Saturday.
The previously unbeaten pair met at the Brentwood Centre in a fight shown live by BT Sport.
Both boxers were fighting eight rounds for the first time in their careers, with Sadiq enjoying a height and reach advantage.
Chelli, however, was able to catch his older rival with a right hand in the opening round of the bout.
You may also want to watch:
With both rivals not wanting to lose their unbeaten records, they were prepared to stand and trade punches for much of the bout.
In the end, Chelli was awarded the decision by referee Chas Coakley to take his record to four wins from four bouts in the paid ranks.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
It has been a fine start to his professional career from Chelli and he will look to continue his development in his next bout.