Cricket: Toby Roland-Jones suffers recurrence of back injury
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Middlesex bowler to miss summer Tests for England
England have suffered a blow with the news that Middlesex seamer Toby Roland-Jones will miss this summer’s Test series against Pakistan and India with a back injury.
The 30-year-old has suffered a recurrence of the stress fracture which ruled him out of the winter Ashes tour.
Roland-Jones made an impressive start to his international career last summer, taking 17 wickets in four Tests against South Africa and the West Indies at an average of 19.64.
However, he developed a stress fracture towards the end of the 2017 county season which prevented him joining the squad in Australia and New Zealand.
You may also want to watch:
He had returned for the start of the county season with Middlesex, but bowled only five overs in last week’s defeat to Derbyshire before a sore back ended his participation with the ball.
Middlesex managing director of cricket Angus Fraser, said: “Everybody at the club is devastated for Toby and our immediate thoughts are with him, and that he makes a full recovery.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 5 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 10 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
“I know how frustrating it can be to miss a summer of cricket through injury, having been through this myself on two occasions. The ray of light is that you do recover and you do come back stronger and even more determined.
“Toby’s absence is obviously a set-back for Middlesex and he will be missed for more than just his bowling. He is a fantastic presence in the dressing room and has been one of the finest bowlers in the country in the past six or seven years.”