Cricket: Toby Roland-Jones suffers recurrence of back injury
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Middlesex bowler to miss summer Tests for England
England have suffered a blow with the news that Middlesex seamer Toby Roland-Jones will miss this summer’s Test series against Pakistan and India with a back injury.
The 30-year-old has suffered a recurrence of the stress fracture which ruled him out of the winter Ashes tour.
Roland-Jones made an impressive start to his international career last summer, taking 17 wickets in four Tests against South Africa and the West Indies at an average of 19.64.
However, he developed a stress fracture towards the end of the 2017 county season which prevented him joining the squad in Australia and New Zealand.
You may also want to watch:
He had returned for the start of the county season with Middlesex, but bowled only five overs in last week’s defeat to Derbyshire before a sore back ended his participation with the ball.
Middlesex managing director of cricket Angus Fraser, said: “Everybody at the club is devastated for Toby and our immediate thoughts are with him, and that he makes a full recovery.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
“I know how frustrating it can be to miss a summer of cricket through injury, having been through this myself on two occasions. The ray of light is that you do recover and you do come back stronger and even more determined.
“Toby’s absence is obviously a set-back for Middlesex and he will be missed for more than just his bowling. He is a fantastic presence in the dressing room and has been one of the finest bowlers in the country in the past six or seven years.”