Crouch End’s Vijay smashes Middlesex County League runs in a season record
- Credit: Archant
The opener struck 127 not out on Saturday to take his Division Three runs tally to 1,124 - 17 more runs than the previous best
Crouch End had plenty to celebrate last weekend, but promotion to the Middlesex County League Division Two has not been achieved yet.
The Calthorpe club defeated struggling South Hampstead by 10 wickets on Saturday to move 10 points clear of third in the table Acton.
It means Crouch End need a point this weekend at home to North London to guarantee a top two finish in Division Three while a victory would give them an outside chance of claiming the title.
Last time out, they had lots to cheer after dismissing South Hampstead for 157 in the 44th over.
You may also want to watch:
Amandeep Dhaliwal (4-40) did the early damage with the ball before Pratik Patel took over and finished with 3-22.
In reply, it turned into the Jalpesh Vijay show, like it has for most of the year, with the opener smashing a superb 127 not out off 68 balls.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 10 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
It was an astonishing knock and broke the record for most runs scored in a Middlesex County League season. The previous best was 1,107 and Vijay’s tally now reads 1,124.