Crouch End’s Vijay smashes Middlesex County League runs in a season record
- Credit: Archant
The opener struck 127 not out on Saturday to take his Division Three runs tally to 1,124 - 17 more runs than the previous best
Crouch End had plenty to celebrate last weekend, but promotion to the Middlesex County League Division Two has not been achieved yet.
The Calthorpe club defeated struggling South Hampstead by 10 wickets on Saturday to move 10 points clear of third in the table Acton.
It means Crouch End need a point this weekend at home to North London to guarantee a top two finish in Division Three while a victory would give them an outside chance of claiming the title.
Last time out, they had lots to cheer after dismissing South Hampstead for 157 in the 44th over.
You may also want to watch:
Amandeep Dhaliwal (4-40) did the early damage with the ball before Pratik Patel took over and finished with 3-22.
In reply, it turned into the Jalpesh Vijay show, like it has for most of the year, with the opener smashing a superb 127 not out off 68 balls.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 4 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 10 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
It was an astonishing knock and broke the record for most runs scored in a Middlesex County League season. The previous best was 1,107 and Vijay’s tally now reads 1,124.