Czech youngsters triumph at international tournament in Islington
- Credit: Archant
A Czech Republic representative team claimed the honours with a late winner in the London Trophy International Youth Festival held at Market Road.
The Czech national select Under-10 side edged out north London-based Pro Touch Soccer Academy in the final after a round-robin system that also involved Canada Blanch.
Pro Touch actually went ahead with a goal from Islington youngster and Arsenal fan Freddie Winfield, but the Czechs equalised and then snatched a second goal five minutes from time.
The Czech Under-13 team also triumphed in their age group in somewhat bizarre circumstances – receiving the trophy after a communication mix-up resulted in them leaving before the final.
They had been due to play Pro Touch, having qualified for the final after a series of round-robin games involving both sides and Eagles United.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the confusion, PTSA director Ash Rahman hailed the tournament – the second of its kind he has organised at Market Road this year – as a success.
“The Czech teams were very good. We were impressed with the way they played football and our players will have learned a lot from that,” he said.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
“I don’t think there have been any national teams visiting Market Road before this year and it’s a great achievement for a local football academy to host an event such as this.
“It gives many local kids a chance to participate in international football and, with Market Road being refurbished soon, we’re hoping to make this an annual event.”
Two members of the Pro Touch Under-10 side, goalkeeper Alexander Von Lanschot and central midfielder Ethan Demol, will be beginning trials with Fulham at the end of the month.
From the Under-13 contingent, midfielder Tanvir Sahim and striker Timmy Samuel-Alase have been offered trials with West Ham and Charlton respectively.