Daly and Strong pick up impressive victories in Suffolk
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club picked up two victories on an Eastgate ABC dinner show held at the Debenham Leisure Centre in Stowmarket.
First up was 14-year-old Joshua Strong (60kgs) who was keen on impressing once again after claiming two stoppages in a row prior to this contest against Kaleb Robertson-Howard of the host club.
Strong used his strength to put Robertson-Howard on the ropes before a flurry of right hands landed on the Eastgate boxer’s head, forcing the referee to administer a standing eight count.
Shortly afterwards another standing count saw the contest waved off just over a minute into the opening round.
Connor Daly (49kgs) was also on a roll with two victories in a row since joining Islington and the 17-year-old made it three with a unanimous decision against Michael Stevenson of Trumpington ABC.
You may also want to watch:
It was enough for Daly to be named the ‘best overall boxer of the night’.
The weigh-in and draw for the London Elite Championships have taken place and 10 Islington boxers now know their fate.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Islington district suffer heavy defeat to Greenwich in Lester Finch Trophy
- 10 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
Thursday night’s card at the Tottenham Sports Centre has six from the club in action:
Bout no: 1 - Inder Bassi vs Krishan Singh (Lion) - Pre 1/4 finals U69kgs.
Bout no: 2 - Yaser Al-Ghena vs Ross Boyle (Fisher) - Pre 1/4 finals U69kgs.
Bout no: 5 - Jerome Campbell vs Jack Brooker (Northolt) - 1/4 finals U60kgs.
Bout no: 6 - Mo Gharib vs Youssef Khoumari (IQ) - 1/4 finals U60kgs.
Bout no: 7 - Darren Ballinger vs Billy Bear (Repton) - 1/4 finals U60kgs.
Bout no: 11 - Troy Smart vs Louie Lynn (Nemesis) - Semi Finals U56kgs.
Two more are in action on Friday at the same venue:
Bout no: 2 - Lamin Conteh vs Romario Wallace (Repton) - 1/4 finals U69kgs.
Bout no: 8 - Chris Onwegbusi vs William Webber (Lion) - 1/4 finals U75kgs.
Amy Broadhurst (U60kgs), Cherrelle Brown (U64kgs) and top seed in the U60Kgs category, Mason Smith, have received byes to the national stages of the championships.