Depleted Islington & Camden pull off remarkable fightback against Barnet
- Credit: Archant
Darnell Goather hit a hat-trick as a threadbare Islington & Camden Under-15 side staged an astonishing comeback to grab a 5-5 draw in their Star Shield tie at Barnet.
With only 11 players available, I&C started poorly and conceded three times in the first 20 minutes.
But when Zak Basakonda was fouled in the penalty area, Goather netted the resulting spot-kick – and then made it 3-2 soon afterwards.
An own goal before half-time brought I&C level and, although Barnet regained the lead soon after the restart, Goather completed his treble, following up after the goalkeeper had parried Basakonda’s effort.
Barnet took advantage of a defensive lapse to go 5-4 up – but the visitors snatched a draw when Goather knocked down Frankie Chandler’s free-kick and captain Dylan Bolister slammed a volley into the roof of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Islington & Camden: Paxi-Cato, Brown, Goather, Basakonda, Yengonde (Central Foundation), Price (St Mary Magdalene), Chandler, Bolister, Menhal (St Aloysius), Miles, Samuel-Clarke (Acland Burghley).
Two defensive errors proved costly for Islington & Camden Under-16s as they went down 2-1 to South London in the second round of the Hawke Trophy.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 3 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
An exquisite left-foot volley from Kai Knight put I&C ahead midway through the first half, but they could not hang on, conceding twice in the space of two minutes.
Islington & Camden: O’Gara, Henriet, Kane Knight, Kai Knight, Massueme, Leonard (St Aloysius), Antwi (Central Foundation), Iyayi, Francis (Islington Arts & Media), Masugi, Husseyin (Holloway), Figueroa (Acland Burghley).