Development Championships produce mixed fortunes for Islington boxers in title bids
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club members had mixed fortunes at the London finals of the England Development Championships at Tottenham Community Centre.
Joseph Cronin was disqualified from his junior under-57kg contest with Double Jab’s Joel Clement-Holder, after being cautioned for use of the head.
But Ella Gilbert won her female Class A under-64kg contest with Sidney Poole (London Community Boxing) on a unanimous decision after forcing a standing eight count in the second round.
“The club are delighted with Ella,” said Reggie Hagland. “Some would’ve quit with the setbacks and injuries she was suffering last season. She is one of the easiest people to get on with and very popular at IBC. We are proud to call her a London champion.”
Newcomer Nina Weber was stopped by Rebecca Eaves in the third round of their under-64kg clash, after receiving standing counts in the first two, but Byron Cox beat Saleem Humza (Westside ABC) with a second-round stoppage at under-56kg.
You may also want to watch:
Cox landed a big right to the head of Humza at the end of the first round and went up in gear in the second, forcing his opponent onto the back foot.
A strong right hook wobbled Humza, before the referee counted to eight and stopped the contest. Hagland added: “Byron is one to watch out for, he is hungry for a national title. It was nice to see how proud his family, friends and team-mates were.”
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
Chris Cunningham received a semi-final walkover at under-75kg when Ivo Camacho (IQ Neasden BC) withdrew at short notice and had a 4-1 split decision against West Ham’s Jordan Dujon in the final for his first amateur title.
Team-mates Scott Smart and Jiyan Oguz met each other in the Class B under-56kg group in a good competitive contest with plenty of respect shown, before Smart won a split decision.
Emmanuel Ally boxed well for two rounds against Andres Manuel Lopez (Fisher ABC) in a Class B under-60kg clash and was up on the scorecards before he was caught with blows to the head and his corner threw in the towel after a second standing count.
Masood Abdullah won the Class A under-60kg London title after Mohammed Uddin (Lansbury ABC) and Robert Baker (Double Jab ABC) both pulled out.
Gilbert, Cunningham, Cox, Smart and Abdullah box in the National pre quarter-finals at Springwest Academy on Sunday.