Double celebration for Islington BC’s Gegic
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC’s Slavisa Gegic has had plenty to celebrate recently.
He claimed the vacant Southern Area under-69kg title on Saturday, with a win over Sean Noakes (Westree ABC) at Tottenham Community Sports Centre.
After a cagey first round from both fighters, Gegic picked up the pace and kept the pressure on behind his jab to earn a unanimous points win ahead of the Elite Championships in March.
And that victory came on the back of success at the BUCS Championships in Wolverhampton, where he competed for London Metropolitan University.
He gave quarter-final opponent Chisanga Mubanga two standing eight counts in a unanimous points win, then saw off Stephen Clarke in a competitive semi-final.
You may also want to watch:
And final rival Kai Green was also given two standing eight counts before the referee waved off the bout and Gegic took gold.
Clubmates Judah Meade (Brunel) and Zoe Bodinetz (UCL) were ruled out by flu and tonsilitis respectively.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know