Double celebration for Islington BC’s Gegic
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC’s Slavisa Gegic has had plenty to celebrate recently.
He claimed the vacant Southern Area under-69kg title on Saturday, with a win over Sean Noakes (Westree ABC) at Tottenham Community Sports Centre.
After a cagey first round from both fighters, Gegic picked up the pace and kept the pressure on behind his jab to earn a unanimous points win ahead of the Elite Championships in March.
And that victory came on the back of success at the BUCS Championships in Wolverhampton, where he competed for London Metropolitan University.
He gave quarter-final opponent Chisanga Mubanga two standing eight counts in a unanimous points win, then saw off Stephen Clarke in a competitive semi-final.
You may also want to watch:
And final rival Kai Green was also given two standing eight counts before the referee waved off the bout and Gegic took gold.
Clubmates Judah Meade (Brunel) and Zoe Bodinetz (UCL) were ruled out by flu and tonsilitis respectively.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant