Dubois claims European title with impressive stoppage of Cojanu
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Islington
Former Islington amateur Daniel Dubois is the new WBO European heavyweight champion after stopping Razvan Cojanu at the Royal Albert Hall on Friday night.
The pair met on a Frank Warren show at the iconic venue, with the 21-year-old winning in the second round.
Dubois started fast with stiff left jabs in the first round, before catching his Romanian rival with a cluster of blows in the second.
That forced Cojanu against the ropes and it was a right over the top from Duvois that did the damage, dropping the Romanian to the canvas and forcing referee Steve Gray to bring proceedings to an end.
You may also want to watch:
*Former Times amateur Zak Chelli maintained his unbeaten record with a first-round stoppage of super middleweight rival Ladislav Nemeth in Watford on Saturday.
*Islington bantamweight Sam Cox earned a third straight win with a first-round stoppage of Bulgaria’s Georgi Andonov at York Hall on Saturday night.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing