England Test call for Middlesex’s Roland-Jones
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Middlesex bowler Toby Roland-Jones has been named in England’s 12-man squad for the first Test against South Africa.
The 29-year-old seamer, one of Wisden’s cricketers of the year, made his international debut in a one-day international last month and has taken 76 wickets in the county championship since the start of last season.
And with Chris Woakes and Jake Ball out with injuries, he could make his Test debut at home ground Lord’s on Thursday.
Selector James Whitaker said: “Toby is a player we have been monitoring for quite some time and deserves his chance after a strong couple of seasons with Middlesex in red-ball cricket.
“He came close last year when he was named in the Test squad against Pakistan in July. Toby has been in good form this campaign and his ability to seam the ball along with the fact that he can score useful runs down the order gives up a number of options.”
You may also want to watch:
Roland-Jones scored an unbeaten, run-a-ball 37 for England against South Africa, before taking 1-34 from seven overs in a seven-wicket loss, after the series had already been won.
England: Joe Root (captain), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Gary Ballance, Stuart Broad, Alastair Cook, Liam Dawson, Keaton Jennings, Toby Roland-Jones, Ben Stokes, Mark Wood.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother