England Women to join #PlayersTogether movement
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal Women’s Beth Mead, Jordan Nobbs and Leah Williamson are three of the stars from the England Lionesses squad who are donating to the #PlayersTogether fund.
The World Cup semi-finalists made the announcement to donate to the initiative on their personal social media accounts, led by captain Steph Houghton on Tuesday evening
The fund was established after meetings between Premier League players to discuss the best way to support NHS and other frontline staff through the coronavirus crisis.
A statement read: “After discussion with a number of Premier League players, we are delighted to confirm that the whole of the Lionesses squad will make a collective donation to the #PlayersTogether fund partnering with NHS Charities Together, in unison with the Premier League players in order to support the amazing NHS.
“Stay home, protect the NHS. Save Lives.”
You may also want to watch:
The fund was established by Premier League players, including Jordan Henderson and Harry Maguire in the wake of widespread criticism of the perceived inaction of top stars.
The Premier League’s initial proposal for a 30 per cent wage cut was dismissed by players, who wished to ensure any contribution would go directly to NHS staff.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
The fund’s contributions will be managed in conjunction with the umbrella group of NHS charities, NHS Charities Together.