Fast-growing Islington Cycling Club mark first anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Islington Cycling Club are celebrating a highly successful first year in which their membership has rocketed from a base of just seven to 200.
Affiliated to British Cycling, the club are the largest in north London and, having begun 12 months ago with an event attended by a handful of cyclists in mismatched kit, now offer eight rides a week.
There are also training sessions on group riding and mechanical skills, as well as an active social calendar, and on Sunday Islington CC will hold their first 200km Audax event, entitled The Great Escape.
“There hasn’t been a local club in Islington for many years,” said club secretary David Shannon. “So we’ve given people what they want – rides that start close to home.
“Plus, we’ve found a gap in the market for people getting involved in cycle sport for the first time, with our friendly set-up and the option of rides at speeds that beginners can cope with.”
You may also want to watch:
The club, who held an anniversary ride to mark their first year earlier this month, are also planning a range of time trials, racing teams and youth development programmes in the near future.
For further information about this weekend’s Audax, or about the club in general, visit www.islington.cc
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 10 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild