Captain’s last-minute strike seals first trophy for Highbury Wolves

PUBLISHED: 17:13 29 April 2015 | UPDATED: 17:13 29 April 2015

Highbury Wolves Blue Under-eights

Highbury Wolves Blue Under-eights


A last-gasp free-kick from skipper Eddie Wright earned Highbury Wolves their first silverware as they beat Isledon Wolves in the Camden & Islington League Under-eights Development Cup final.

Highbury’s Blue team were drawing 1-1 with a minute remaining of the final at Market Road when goalkeeper Nathan Devoucoux played the ball out to Wright, who was brought down.

Wright’s brother Joseph made a great run to create a gap in the Isledon defence and the captain rifled the free-kick into the top left-hand corner of the net to clinch victory.

The 2-1 scoreline also brought Highbury revenge for their only defeat of the tournament, having lost to Isledon Wolves but won their other five group games.

Isledon took a first-half lead in the final, but Youcef Boudkhila netted the equaliser straight after half-time and he and John-Joe Fields both went close to scoring again before Wright’s late strike.

The trophy was Highbury Wolves’ first success since the club was set up less than two years ago – and they are hoping to add a second, with the Under-nines in the last four of their own cup.

The club, who train in Barnard Park on Wednesdays (4.30pm-6.30pm) and Saturdays and Sundays (10am-12pm), are looking for new players for next season and will be holding football camps throughout the summer.

To register, contact Luciano Zeraschi on 07857 224 671, visit the club website or find them at

Deon Marshall capped his excellent season with a hat-trick as Isledon Wolves Under-14s routed AC United Lions 5-1 to secure their second title of the season.

Wolves, who had already been crowned Harrow Youth League champions, made certain of another trophy, with Alfie Lusardi and Mo Asam also on the scoresheet in this comfortable victory.

And Wolves are still in search of further silverware, with a League Cup semi-final to come against Crown & Manor.

Goals from Harry Charie and man of the match Teon Levy-Wright ensured that FC Unity Under-14s maintained their unbeaten run with a 2-1 success against The Heath.

Unity were depleted by injuries and stand-in goalkeeper Joe Manuel did well to keep The Heath at bay, while Charie also had a stint between the posts.

Albert Nisse’s second-half header was enough to earn Angel Islington Under-11s victory over Rainbow and keep them on course for a Cheshunt Youth League and League Cup double.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Islington Gazette