Former European gold medallist launches judo club for Islington youngsters
- Credit: Archant
Former GB international player Ryan Gordon has launched a new judo club for youngsters in and around Islington.
Gordon, who already coaches boys and girls at St Peter’s and St Paul’s RC Primary School, has set up EC1 Judo Zone at Tompion Community Hall in nearby Percival Street.
The club is initially open to youngsters aged six to 16, although Gordon – who won a gold medal at the European Championships – is intending to expand to include other age groups in the near future.
“I started doing judo in Islington when I was eight and I’ve noticed that there’s quite a gap in terms of the variety of sports available for kids now,” said Gordon.
“Judo is a skilful, technical sport – you use holds and throws to win the fight rather than hitting anyone – and it’s one of only two fighting sports in the Olympics.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a great opportunity for the community and for kids to gain potential. If you learn how to be competitive in sports, you can learn some of the skills needed when you step into the wider world.”
Classes are currently held on Fridays from 4.45pm to 6.15pm. For further information, call 07792 656 272 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting