Former Islington amateur Courtenay enjoys winning debut
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Islington
Former Islington amateur Shannon Courtenay enjoyed a winning start to her professional career with a points win over Romania’s Cristina Busuioc.
The bantamweight was making her debut on a Matchroom show at the Copper Box Arena in Stratford.
Courtenay enjoyed a height and reach advantage over her opponent, but dominated the contest with a flurry of punches to Busuioc’s head and body.
That kept the Romanian at a distance, with Busuioc hurt a number of times by the powerful Courtenay.
You may also want to watch:
To her credit, the brave Busuioc made it through all four rounds before Courtenay was named the winner by 40-36.
It was a brilliant debut for Courtenay and the youngster will look to build on that success in her next bout.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 6 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 9 Islington dog stars in film that will be shown at London Film Festival
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
The Matchroom bill was headlined by Charlie Edwards’ successful defence of his WBC world flyweight title against Spain’s Angel Moreno.
The card also saw wins for young British talents Lawrence Okolie, Joshua Buatsi and Lewis Ritson.