Former Islington amateur Courtenay enjoys winning debut
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Islington
Former Islington amateur Shannon Courtenay enjoyed a winning start to her professional career with a points win over Romania’s Cristina Busuioc.
The bantamweight was making her debut on a Matchroom show at the Copper Box Arena in Stratford.
Courtenay enjoyed a height and reach advantage over her opponent, but dominated the contest with a flurry of punches to Busuioc’s head and body.
That kept the Romanian at a distance, with Busuioc hurt a number of times by the powerful Courtenay.
You may also want to watch:
To her credit, the brave Busuioc made it through all four rounds before Courtenay was named the winner by 40-36.
It was a brilliant debut for Courtenay and the youngster will look to build on that success in her next bout.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
The Matchroom bill was headlined by Charlie Edwards’ successful defence of his WBC world flyweight title against Spain’s Angel Moreno.
The card also saw wins for young British talents Lawrence Okolie, Joshua Buatsi and Lewis Ritson.