Former Islington Boxing Club star scores first-round knockout at York Hall
- Credit: Philip Sharkey/TGS Photo
Aarron Morgan made up for lost time with a stunning first-round knockout of Krisztian Santa to extend his unbeaten record at York Hall on Saturday.
The former Islington BC captain – who was originally scheduled to box early on a mammoth 19-bout Hellraiser/Warrior promotion – eventually entered the ring at 11.30pm.
But the contest proved to be a brief one as Morgan stopped the Hungarian after two minutes and 16 seconds to record his 11th straight victory since turning professional.
The Islington light-middleweight quickly forced his opponent onto the back foot, but Santa’s smart head movement initially prevented him from landing any telling blows.
That changed midway through the first round when the 28-year-old unleashed a left hook followed by a right hook to dump Santa on the canvas.
You may also want to watch:
Morgan then repeated the combination almost immediately, flooring his opponent for the second time and that convinced referee Reece Carter to call off the fight.
“I’ve now stopped eight out of 11 opponents and I’m pleased with my performance,” Morgan told the Gazette. “The sooner it’s over, the better!”
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey