Hackney beat Islington to win Inner London County Schools FA Kay Trophy
- Credit: Archant
Islington boss Michael MacNeill praises effort of team and quality of football despite defeat
Hackney District beat Islington District 5-1 in the final of the Inner London County Schools FA Kay Trophy on Saturday.
Despite the scoreline, the two teams were evenly matched and pushed each other all the way at Douglas Eyre Sports Centre.
Islington took the lead after six minutes when Stephane MgBada nodded in from close range after Cameron Walker flicked on Alfie Gordon’s corner.
The rest of the first half was played at a frenetic tempo with chances created for both sides, but Hackney drew level in injury-time following a set-piece.
You may also want to watch:
Islington started the second half stronger and had chances to extend the lead however, 10 minutes into the half Hackney scored a second after a goal mouth scramble.
Hackney scored their third soon after and then a penalty, but Islington goalkeeper Ossi Valtanen made a fine save.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
Islington pushed for a way back into the game, but conceded twice in injury time to suffer a 5-1 defeat.
“The score-line was harsh on the boys as they worked hard and played some decent football throughout,” said Islington boss Michael MacNeill.
“However, we were missing a couple of bigger players and that showed at the end of the match. Credit to Hackney, they finished the match off.”
Islington team: Valtanen, Linden, Vargas, Jos Gurie, Walker, Jon Gurie, Brennan, Gordon, Mgbada.
MacNeill’s team are looking to get to another final on June 10 when they play Thurrock in the semi-final of the Lester Finch Trophy.