Hanover girls triumph at Islington Schools finals
- Credit: Archant
Four Hanover Primary School students secured gold medals as their girls’ team finished triumphant at the Islington Schools swimming gala finals.
Pearl Kendall won the Year 5 breaststroke, with Ruby Cunningham-Ward taking the honours in Year 6 and Ruby Rose (Year 5) and Ruby Samuels (Year 6) emerging victorious in their respective backstroke races.
Eveyne Pakule (Year 5) claimed second place in the girls’ freestyle, while Margot Johnstone (Year 6) finished fourth – and both also played their part in winning two more gold medals for the Noel Road school.
Pakule teamed up with Rose, Kendall and Manal Ali to clinch victory in the Year 5 medley, and Samuels, Cunningham-Ward, Johnstone and Hafissa Diop matched that achievement in the Year 6 race.
In the boys’ events, Hanover’s Max Rathbone finished second in the Year 5 breaststroke, with Henry Trevelyan third in the Year 6 race and Thomas Stiastny Williams fourth in the backstroke.
You may also want to watch:
Rory Gifford, who finished fourth in the freestyle, also teamed up with Williams, Rathbone and Jasper Knaap for a runners-up spot in the medley as the boys took third place overall. Canonbury School were crowned boys’ champions.
Hanover also finished third in the mixed freestyle, courtesy of Gifford, Rathbone, Knaap and Darcey Draper.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
Paul Subaran, the Hanover head coach, said: “When you turn up to watch the Islington Schools finals, it’s like watching a club gala and that’s credit to all the schools who took part. The standard was impressive.
“In my squad not many attend swimming clubs, so a win and a third place is something to be proud of. Well done to everyone who took part and to Canonbury boys on their win.”