Herts Middlesex Division Two: Finsbury Park on the charge and eye more success away to third-placed Cuffley rivals

Finsbury Park’s first-team have a huddle after defeating Harlequin Amateurs last weekend (pic: Finsb

Finsbury Parks first-team have a huddle after defeating Harlequin Amateurs last weekend (pic: Finsbury Park RFC). - Credit: Archant

The second-team also recorded a win last Saturday to make it a good overall day for the local outfit

Finsbury Park’s first-team kept up their excellent form in the Herts Middlesex Division Two with a 62-0 over Harlequin Amateurs on Saturday.

After starting the campaign with a 29-10 home loss to local rivals Mill Hill on September 9, the Londoners have bounced back magnificently.

Wins over Haringey Rhinos, Old Millhillians and Old Isleworthians gave Finsbury plenty of confidence going into their contest with Harlequin.

The Amateurs were expected to provide stiff opposition after boasting a record of played five and won three going into the fixture at Downhills Park.

You may also want to watch:

But the home side made a strong start and never looked back with plenty of tries scored during the five-point victory.

Ed Morden went over for a score with just three minutes on the clock and Tom Barnstable kicked the extras to make it 7-0 early on.

Most Read

Harlequin had the opportunity to respond when they were awarded a penalty, but they missed and it proved costly with the home side clicking into gear.

Dan Cunningham crashed over to make it 12-0 before Barnstable got in on the act and Frazer Findlater then put his name on the scoresheet with Barnstable adding the extras to make it 24-0 after 20 minutes.

Park had to wait a little while before they troubled the score again, but Alastair Walters went over in the 33rd minute to ensure it was 29-0 at half time.

Following a terrific first half, it was important Finsbury didn’t lose focus and Cunningham played his part – going over for his second try just four minutes after the restart.

Sam Parkes joined the party soon after with Barnstable kicking the conversion to make it 41-0 in the 49th minute.

Harlequin were inflicted more punishment eight minutes later when Barnstable completed his brace and allowed Findlater to add the two points.

Morden was another to grab a double with Barstable kicking the extras before Parkes went over in the 63rd minute.

Barnstable added the converstion to conclude the scoring for Finsbury and cap another good day for the club.

Park will look to achieve more success away to Cuffley this weekend with the hosts third in the table – one point and one place above Finsbury – having played a game more this season.

Finsbury Park’s second-team made it two wins on the spin when they picked up a fine 27-12 victory at Pinner last weekend.

Six players were on debut and it was one to remember for winger Dan McDonnel as he linked up well with fellow debutant John Wood and went over to break the deadlock with 10 minutes played.

The visitors couldn’t build on that initially and after conceding a number of penalties, a Pinner prop crashed through and scored under the posts for a converted try and the hosts moved into a 7-5 lead.

Their advantage did not last long, however, as from a five-metre scrum, scrum half Tom Smart found a gap in the defence to put the ball down between the posts, and Nick Tewson sent over the conversion as the Fins edged in front.

Finsbury remained on top and they worked their way into the Pinner 22, and Tewson slid through to score under the posts, before adding the extras to give the new-look visitors a deserved 19-7 half-time lead.

They started the second half in fine fashion too as they kept up the pressure and were awarded a penalty 20m out, which Tewson was able to slot between the posts and extend the advantage to 22-7.

Pinner reverted to their first half tactics and got themselves back in the game when another prop crashed over, but they failed to add the conversion as they could only reduce the deficit to 22-12.

The Fins were down to 14 men at this stage after Aaron Carter found his way into the sin bin and it gave the home side a boost.

Pinner put Finsbury under plenty of pressure as the hosts looked to find a way back into the game.

Another yellow occurred soon after Carter had returned to the field with David Wrigley sent to the sin bin.

Finsbury managed to hold firm though and with two minutes left on the clock they sealed the victory when John Startin’s kick was raced on to by Shin Ando.

Although Tewson missed the conversion, a 27-12 victory was sealed to back up the positive result of the first-team. The seconds are next at home to Datchworth this weekend.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter