Higgins chalks up sixth straight win
- Credit: Philip Sharkey/TGSPHOTO
Former St Pancras ABC star Alan ‘Avalanche’ Higgins recorded his sixth straight win on Saturday with a comfortable points success over Latvia’s Raimonds Sniedze.
The pair threw left jabs and right hooks to both head and body, but it was Higgins who landed the better scoring punches throughout the six-round middleweight clash at York Hall.
A right hook to the head almost dropped Sniedze in the fifth round and the Latvian did well to survive to the bell, but the outcome was never in doubt.
Referee Robert Williams scored the contest in the Londoner’s favour by 59 points to 55 – the third time in a row that Higgins has been taken the distance.
“Overall I was pleased with my performance,” Higgins told the Gazette. “He was very tough – not someone who came to roll over and he gave me a good workout.”
You may also want to watch:
Higgins is lined up to box again in Marseille in November.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'