High turnout as director departs Highbury Fields parkrun
- Credit: Archant
Runners at Highbury Fields waved goodbye to event director Jonathan Patel on Saturday at his final parkrun before moving to Italy.
Patel, who started running at Highbury Fields in July 2012 and became a key member of the event’s organising team the following year, received a selection of running-related gifts from friends and colleagues.
In all, 128 runners gathered at the start line for Patel’s swansong, with 22 first-timers including Christopher Hatton Primary School teacher David Benham, who recently coached first-year students in their 5k debuts.
Rob Smyth (17:32) was the first runner to cross the line – his fifth win in 13 appearance – while ninth-placed Anna Clarke-Janssen (19:08) was the fastest woman.
In all, 18 runners recorded personal best times, among them veteran Stephen Hey, who was making his 75th parkrun appearance.
You may also want to watch:
Saturday’s event was organised with the help of volunteers Ben Clarke-Janssen, John Conroy, Peter Holmes, Jonathan Litchfield, Andrew McGeary, Danny Olive, Jessica Vinluan and Rob Walker.
Anyone who would like to help out at future events can get in touch with the organisers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing