Highbury fencer regains foil title at School Games
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Highbury teenager Leah King proved the sword is just as mighty as the pen by reclaiming her Sainsbury’s School Games foil title in Sheffield.
The 18-year-old, who won the gold medal in the girls’ foil two years ago, had to sit out last year’s tournament to concentrate on her exams at City and Islington College.
But King displayed imperious form on her return to the Steel City as she topped the podium again – and followed up her individual achievement by helping England to claim gold in the team foil as well.
“It feels brilliant to have won the gold and I feel like I’ve taken the title back,” she said.
“Last year I didn’t compete because I had exams but I won the year before that so coming back and winning again is like ‘yeah I’ve got it back, it’s mine.’
You may also want to watch:
“I felt under a bit of pressure. Last season I had kind of a year out, I was in and out and everyone wants to see how I can perform – and now that I’ve proven I can win, it’s definitely helped.”
King lost just one of her seven pool matches before storming through the knockout rounds to win the gold medal with a comfortable 15-5 victory over Scotland’s Chloe Dickson in the final.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
“I definitely want to go to the Olympics, I’m heading for that no doubt,” added the Islington youngster. “I will be going for Rio 2016 and it’s carnival season as well, so it will be fun.”
The Sainsbury’s 2013 School Games, which is supported by National Lottery funding from Sport England and delivered by the Youth Sport Trust, was held in venues across Sheffield from 12-15 September. Visit www.2013schoolgames.com for more information.