Highbury Grove girls defeat rivals in last-ball thriller
- Credit: Archant
Liyah Robinson held her nerve to secure a nail-biting victory as Highbury Grove School’s Under-13 girls booked their place in the inter-borough indoor tournament.
Highbury Grove were locked in a tense battle with Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, who needed two runs from the last ball of the final to go through and represent Islington against rival boroughs.
However, Robinson produced a superb delivery at pace to hit the stumps, sealing a one-run win for Highbury Grove and ensuring that they advanced instead.
The two schools had earlier progressed from a closely-contested round-robin series that also involved Highbury Fields.
Tia Thompson and Tiarna Reid were the chief contributors to the Highbury Grove total of 51 in the final but, at one stage, it looked as if EGA would chase down the target with ease.
You may also want to watch:
An excellent catch from Thompson tipped the contest in favour of Highbury Grove, though, and tight fielding paved the way for Robinson to take centre stage and clinch a last-ball thriller.
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 'It's crippling us': Islington's theatres and pubs disheartened by lockdown extension
- 9 Islington shooting victim named
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing