Highgate bag the league title and make history by earning promotion to the top flight
- Credit: Archant
Highgate cricket club were crowned champions of the Middlesex Division Two after sealing a comfortable 134 run victory against Indian Gymkhana.
Muazam Ali and his side have also gained promotion to the Premier League for the first-time in their 150 year history.
“It’s been a phenomenal season for the club,” Ali said.
“Last year we found it quite tough coming up to the division and only just scraped through by winning the last game of the season.”
The skipper praises his team-mates efforts throughout the season and believes he has had an impact on the team since taking over the leadership role.
You may also want to watch:
“I think my experience having played professional cricket has been important, as I’ve been able to bring out some of the belief in the boys this season.
“More important than that though is the guys who have been at the club for many years and lead by example.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
“One guy in particular is William Bowley he has been absolutely fantastic for us and pretty much all season has taken the game away with his batting performances.
“He has got an ability that not many people have.”
Highgate will be playing in the Middlesex Premier Division next season and Ali admits he’s massively looking forward to it.
“Massively, I’m very lucky to have played Prem cricket before and I think for the guys they should just go there with full belief in themselves next season,” he said.
“I think they will really enjoy the challenge and we’re all looking forward to it.”
Highgate still have one game left this season against Hornsey and Ali admits they’ll be treating it no different to any other match.
“We know every side we’ve come up against this season wants to beat us,” he admitted.
“We don’t want to be complacent and we want to show up, perform well and enjoy the moment.”
Ali also talked up former England cricketer Paul Weekes ahead of the clash and believes it’s wonderful for Hornsey to have him at the club.
“I have known Paul for pretty much all my life and he is a legend of Middlesex cricket.
“It’s wonderful that someone like him is still turning out for Hornsey and he must help their youngsters massively.”