Bowley’s best for Highgate unable to force win
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
The talented batsman struck 10 sixes and 13 fours on his way to a big century
Will Bowley hit his highest score for Highgate's first XI on Saturday, but it wasn't enough to help them win against title-chasing Brondesbury.
The number three smashed 131 off 72 balls, crunching a superb 10 maximums and 13 fours in a classy knock.
It ensured Highgate went over the 300-mark and finished their innings all out for 331 with Zahid Ali Khan falling eight runs short of a century.
Brondesbury, to their credit, went for it in reply and while the runs flowed, the wickets also tumbled and it made for an entertaining encounter at Shepherd's Cot.
You may also want to watch:
Uzair Amjaid's 3-91 from 21 overs ensured Highgate were generally on top and both Sandum Dias (2-42) and David Monk (2-70) supported him well.
But Brondesbury, who are second, ended up on 289-8 to earn a draw and two points for their efforts while the hosts' claimed a respectable tally of five.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
It places them fifth in the Middlesex County Division Two at the halfway mark of the season on 43 points.
Next up for Highgate is a home clash with Enfield, who are ninth in the table, and they will hope to get over the finish line this weekend.