Bowley’s best for Highgate unable to force win
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
The talented batsman struck 10 sixes and 13 fours on his way to a big century
Will Bowley hit his highest score for Highgate's first XI on Saturday, but it wasn't enough to help them win against title-chasing Brondesbury.
The number three smashed 131 off 72 balls, crunching a superb 10 maximums and 13 fours in a classy knock.
It ensured Highgate went over the 300-mark and finished their innings all out for 331 with Zahid Ali Khan falling eight runs short of a century.
Brondesbury, to their credit, went for it in reply and while the runs flowed, the wickets also tumbled and it made for an entertaining encounter at Shepherd's Cot.
You may also want to watch:
Uzair Amjaid's 3-91 from 21 overs ensured Highgate were generally on top and both Sandum Dias (2-42) and David Monk (2-70) supported him well.
But Brondesbury, who are second, ended up on 289-8 to earn a draw and two points for their efforts while the hosts' claimed a respectable tally of five.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
It places them fifth in the Middlesex County Division Two at the halfway mark of the season on 43 points.
Next up for Highgate is a home clash with Enfield, who are ninth in the table, and they will hope to get over the finish line this weekend.