Highgate ready for busy and exciting weekend of cricket at Shepherd’s Cot
- Credit: Archant
Tonight the club will host their first women’s only softball cricket festival and on Saturday Hampstead will visit
Highgate are set for a busy weekend with a crucial game in the Middlesex County League Premier Division on Saturday, but today (Friday) they will host their first women’s only softball cricket festival.
The event will take place from 6.30pm until 9pm at the club’s Shepherd’s Cot home and lots of rewards are available for those who get involved.
Entry is free and Prosecco as well as Thai cuisine will be offered to all participants after the evening’s cricket.
Highgate have enlisted new coach Lucy Pringle, a former country player, to assist with the event which will provide women and girls a chance to learn new skills and play some fun competition games.
You may also want to watch:
Susan Patterson, chair at Highgate Cricket & Lawn Tennis Club, said: “The ECB and Highgate CC are holding the club’s first women’s only softball cricket festival on July 27.
“To date, 56 women have signed up to take part in this first ever Ladies Softball Cricket Festival and this will be coach led, so come and try the session.
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 5 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 6 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 7 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 8 'Help! I found a lizard in my luggage after my holiday'
- 9 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 10 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
“This will be a fast, fun and fabulous way to try out cricket played with a soft ball and it a game for all abilities and experiences.
“Highgate CC is situated to the side of Shepherd’s Cot a beautiful green oasis in the heart of Crouch End, accessed off Park Road and opposite Park Avenue South.
“The Festival is being held on the Highgate club grounds and after, in the clubhouse, all participants will receive a free Thai Green Curry and glass of Prosecco or soft drink following the activities.”
After Highgate’s debut women’s only softball cricket festival, the first-team will be looking to improve their form in the Premier Division.
Last weekend they put in a brave effort at rivals North Middlesex, but fell short of chasing down 288 to win.
Uzair Amjaid’s 3-102 from 24 overs helped restrict the hosts to 287-7 and in reply, overseas opener Shane McNamara got Highgate off to a great start with 56 at the top of the order.
Hasnain Ali added 78 from number five and despite 22 by Phil Knott and Amjaid’s 20, the visitors were dismissed in the 68th over for 280.
Local rivals Hampstead are next to visit on Saturday and Highgate will hope to get over the line this time.
Johan de Silva said: “Last weekend was a heart-breaking defeat for the guys having fought so hard to bring the game down to the wire.
“But it demonstrates the immense potential and ability the team have. Consistently delivering performances like these in the last six weeks of the season should lead to us climbing up the table.”