Highgate Harriers athlete is fastest Middlesex finisher at inter-counties championships
- Credit: Archant
Highgate Harriers’ Hannah Viner completed her first senior race as the fastest Middlesex finisher at the Inter Counties Championships near Birmingham on Saturday.
Viner, who is not yet 20, clocked a time of 32 minutes 38 seconds over the undulating Crofton Park course to finish 42nd overall out of almost 250 runners.
Two other Highgate athletes helped Middlesex to finish 13th out of 25 counties – Ashley Scott-Wilson, who took 75th place in 33:38, and Emma Burgess, who was 160th in 36:00.
Like Viner, Harriers’ Georgia Fear was the first Middlesex runner home in her race, completing the course in 22:36 to take 14th place in a field of 146 for the Under-20 women’s event.
James Millett (31:11) finished 89th in the Under-20 men’s race, while Phoebe Littler (18:59) came 112th in the Under-15 girls’ event. Oliver Haddad, in 30th place, was the first Middlesex runner home in the boys’ race.
You may also want to watch:
Fellow Harrier Abel Sinko-Aribe finished 274th, with Ava Mulvill and Ellie Gilmore taking 44th and 221st places respectively for the Under-13 girls. Patrick Kyle (42nd) was the fastest Middlesex runner among the boys.
A number of Highgate’s leading athletes warmed up for this weekend’s Southern Road Relay Championships with strong performances – led by Chris Rainsford, who achieved a personal best of 30:08 to finish 33rd in the Trafford 10k road race.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
Oliver Kean finished second (16:20) in the Dulwich parkrun, while Dominic Smith (15:42), Edward Hickman-Casey (15:45) and Brahma Pochee (15:49) filled the first three positions in the Hackney Marshes race.
Peter Downie (sixth, 16:25), Alex Machin-Paley (12 th, 17:35), Emmanuel Lumineau (24 th, 19:37) and Theo Machin-Paley (27 th, 19:42) also completed the parkrun.
Highgate trio Michael Ussher, Alex Davidson and Chris Bailey saw off Harrow and Trent Park RC to win the men’s Over-50 team prize in the Middlesex veterans’ cross-country race at Watford on Sunday.
Ussher finished third in 35:45, with Davidson seventh (36:47) and Bailey 15th (40:51), while Duncan Burbidge, who ran in the Over-40 section, placed sixth (36:31).