Highgate Harriers claim shock success at Southern Championships
Highgate Harriers’ quartet of runners held off heavyweight opposition to clinch a surprise victory in the Southern Senior Relay Championships at Wormwood Scrubs.
Harriers had not been expected to challenge for top spot, but they finished in a time of 56 minutes 30 seconds, ahead of both Newham & Essex Beagles and Belgrave in a field of 40.
Charlie Haywood gave Highgate a good start with a leg of 14:07 and he was followed by Jonny Laybourn (14:06), Robel Bahelbi – who produced a magnificent run of 13:33 – and Brahma Pochee (14:44).
The north Londoners’ impressive performance should boost their hopes of further success on Saturday, when they go to Kingsbury for the North of Thames Championships and Liddiard Cup.
Several of the club’s younger athletes will also be at Kingsbury for the second North West London League meeting of the season, which takes place prior to the senior event.
You may also want to watch:
Oliver Haddad was the fastest Highgate finisher in the Under-15 boys’ relays at Wormwood Scrubs, clocking 6:46 to help his team to 11th place out of 32.
Monte Watson (7:32), Finlay Sleeman (7:45) and Lucas Porter (7:54) all made valuable contributions as the Under-13 boys finished 10th, while the Under-13 girls came 17th with Ellen Donald clocking 8:26.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 4 Islington shooting victim named
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Islington is getting a big name restaurant