Highgate’s Ogbechie heads to Hungary for European U18 Championships
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from the Highgate Harriers Athletics Club
Highgate Harriers teenager Dominic Ogbechie will hope to be a Hungary hero this week after being selected in the Great Britain squad for the European Athletics Under-18 Championships.
The competition runs from July 5-8 in the city of Gyor in the north west of the country, with Ogbechie taking part in the high jump.
Coached by Marius Guei at Harriers, Ogbechie will hope to he has a medal in his luggage on his return from Hungary.
Highgate’s Justin Beere was 52nd at the Last Friday of the Month Serpentine 5k, while David Musgrove finished 82nd and Natasha Cendrowicz came 182nd.
You may also want to watch:
At a 3k race in Watford, Harriers athlete Roger Poolman finished second in eight minutes and 18 seconds, with club colleague Rob Bahelbi clocking 8.29 for fifth.
Earlier in June, Brahma Pochee broke the 15-minute mark for 5k for the first time after finishing in 14.58 at the Fast Friday Meeting in Walthamstow.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
Also in action at the meet were Rob Wilson (14.56), Alex Crossland (15.15), Johnny Laybourn (15.46), Peter Hawkins (15.55), Will De Doncker (16.15), Brendan Donnelly (17.25), Rebecca Johnson (17.35) and Emma Burgess (18.08).
Darryl Davison was also present at the Fast Friday Meet and clocked 34.23 over 10k.
At the BMC Grand Prix in Loughborough, there were personal bests over 5k for both Poolman (14.29) and Wilson (14.51).
At the third match of this year’s Southern League North Division Three, Highgate Harriers in a combined team with Mornington Chases placed second on the day.
Chris Rainsford, Bahelbi, James Millett, Crossland, Tom Crawley, Emma Burgess, Yasmin Goater, Matt Dore-Weeks, Megan Greenfield, Sonia Martinez-Roura, Igan Gal-Shohet, Jonny Payne and Marie Alaphillipe all collected individual wins at the meet.
At the BMC Regional Races in Eltham, Hannah Viner and Goater both set new bests for the 800m, clocking 2.13 and 2.16 respectively.
At the Self Transcendence 5k in Battersea Park, Charlie Haywood was second in 15.50, while Henry Murdoch clocking 15.57 for third.