Highgate Harriers’ Poolman wins Golden Stag Mile
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from the Highgate Harriers club
Highgate Harriers athlete Roger Poolman was celebrating last week after winning the Barnet & District Golden Stag Mile in Finsbury Park on Friday.
The 26-year-old, who is a recent Cambridge University undergraduate, finished in a new meeting record of four minutes and 13 seconds to claim the win.
Poolman had to battle against some of the best runners from Barnet & District, including the likes of Tom Butler and Alexander Lepretre, but the Highgate Harriers member held his nerve to prevail.
Over-55 athlete Nadi Jahnagiri was also in action at the event in Finsbury Park and finished in a time of 5:39.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, Highgate Harriers athlete Emma Burgess set a new personal best time over 5k by smashing her previous mark.
Competing at the BMC Regional Event in Eltham last weekend, Burgess clocked 17.17.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
Burgess’ previous best over the distance had been clocked in 2017 when she finished a 5k in 18.00.