Holders Regent’s go through to Islington Gazette Cup final again
- Credit: Archant
Islington Gazette Cup holders Regent’s FC booked a place in their third consecutive final after overcoming Star of Kings 5-1 on Tuesday.
Yemi Buraimoh scored a hat-trick, while Karim Essaghi was also on target and Jesse Ndjeka netted a second-half penalty to secure a comfortable win in the semi-final.
That completed a successful week for Regent’s, who were also crowned Islington Midweek League champions for the second time in three years after their closest rivals Islington Admiral United lost to West End.
Regent’s manager Des Casey said: “The boys’ attitude has been brilliant and the buzz in our dressing room is getting stronger and stronger. We’re really looking forward to the final.”
The second semi-final takes place on Thursday at Market Road, with 2014 winners Myddleton Arms facing Regent Rovers (kick-off 6pm).
You may also want to watch:
Admiral’s Premier Division title hopes were finally extinguished after they threw away the lead in a 2-1 defeat against West End.
Although Admiral started the game well, creating several opportunities, they had just one goal to show for their efforts as Jake King fired them in front.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
However, West End levelled before the interval and Admiral squandered further chances to regain the advantage before conceding a second goal just five minutes from time.