Holloway trio head honours list at Islington School Sports Awards
- Credit: Archant
Three Holloway students have been acclaimed for their achievements during the past year at the annual Islington School Sports Awards.
Asanteni Charles was named as the borough’s secondary school sportswoman of the year, while James Slade collected the sportsman of the year award.
Tomique Gibson, also from Holloway School, was one of three winners of the exceptional performance athlete accolade, alongside Kai Ghazi-Timms (St Mary Magdalene Academy) and Ella Henson (Highbury Fields).
In all, 59 Islington schools nominated individuals and teams for the awards, which were presented at a ceremony attended by the mayor, Cllr Theresa Debono, and the council’s deputy leader Cllr Janet Burgess.
Abdirahman Abdi (Richard Cloudesley School) won the special school sportsman of the year award, while Gracie-Leigh Dunkley of St Andrew’s (Barnsbury) was named primary school sportswoman of the year.
You may also want to watch:
Zachariah Addo (St Mark’s) was the primary school sportsman of the year, with St Mary Magdalene’s Under-11 boys’ table tennis squad taking the primary school sports team of the year award.
The secondary school team awards went to the Year 7 netball team at Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School (girls) and the year 10 St Aloysius’ College football team (boys).
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
Sarah Taylor Reid (Highbury Fields) received the school sports volunteer of the year award, while Hannah Basic (Elizabeth Garrett Anderson) was sports leader of the year and Stephan Partridge (Finsbury Park RFC) was Sport Islington volunteer of the year.
Lions Sports and Islington Handball Club shared the Sport Islington club of the year award, while Eritrean Youth Club were named as the Sports Islington organisation of the year.
Fencer Dominic de Almeida won the overall sportsman of the year award, with Nadia Jersey (waterskiing) declared sportswoman of the year.
Michael MacNeill, the chairman of Sport Islington, said: “The awards were a great celebration of Islington sporting talent – be it performer, official, organiser, coach or club.”