Hornsey dig in for draw away to high-flying Enfield in Division Two
- Credit: Archant
Garfield Struthers’ men were 102-0 chasing 299 to win before they lost both their openers and ended on 219-7
Hornsey’s two-game winning streak in the Middlesex County League Division Two was ended on Saturday at Enfield, but they still batted out to secure a draw.
Garfield Struthers’ team went into the contest with plenty of belief, but found life tough away to the early pace-setters.
Enfield batted first and hit a score of 298-6 from 55 overs with Paul Weekes (2-115) and Bhasker Patel (2-114) doing their best to restrict the flow of runs.
Hornsey made a decent fist of the chase in reply and put on 102 for the first wicket, but when James Bull went for 50 it slowed down the progress of the visitors.
You may also want to watch:
Weekes stuck around, but he was caught for 89 off 126 balls to leave the score on 194-5 – putting Enfield firmly on top.
Struthers men batted out for the draw though, and got to 219-7 from 45 overs to claim two points from the match.
- 1 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 2 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 3 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 4 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 5 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 6 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 7 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 8 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 9 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
Fourth-placed Hornsey are next in action on Saturday, on the road again, this time away to Eastcote, who are seventh after nine games.