Hornsey’s best yet blows Division Two title and promotion race wide open
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
The Tivola Road club stunned leaders Stanmore on Saturday and will look to back it up against Southgate
Hornsey produced perhaps their best performance of the season last Saturday to win by four wickets at Middlesex County League Division Two leaders Stanmore.
The away win has blown open the race for the title as well as the promotion battle with just four games left to play.
Garfield Struthers won the toss at Stanmore and put the hosts into bat first, which did not look wise when they were 71-1, but Paul Weekes made the key breakthrough and it sparked collapse.
Weekes claimed figures of 3-41 from 17.1 overs while Nii-Amma Ollennu picked up 3-42 off eight overs and Joe Emanuel finished with 2-8.
You may also want to watch:
Stanmore were eventually all out for 163 and despite a bad start to the reply, Hornsey got home with four wickets left to spare.
Weekes top scored with 56 to cap a fine individual day and 41 by Liam O’Hare and Jack Goldberg’s 33 were both crucial to the win.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
Next up for fourth-placed Hornsey is a home fixture with struggling Southgate this weekend.