Hornsey’s best yet blows Division Two title and promotion race wide open
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
The Tivola Road club stunned leaders Stanmore on Saturday and will look to back it up against Southgate
Hornsey produced perhaps their best performance of the season last Saturday to win by four wickets at Middlesex County League Division Two leaders Stanmore.
The away win has blown open the race for the title as well as the promotion battle with just four games left to play.
Garfield Struthers won the toss at Stanmore and put the hosts into bat first, which did not look wise when they were 71-1, but Paul Weekes made the key breakthrough and it sparked collapse.
Weekes claimed figures of 3-41 from 17.1 overs while Nii-Amma Ollennu picked up 3-42 off eight overs and Joe Emanuel finished with 2-8.
You may also want to watch:
Stanmore were eventually all out for 163 and despite a bad start to the reply, Hornsey got home with four wickets left to spare.
Weekes top scored with 56 to cap a fine individual day and 41 by Liam O’Hare and Jack Goldberg’s 33 were both crucial to the win.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 5 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 6 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 7 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
Next up for fourth-placed Hornsey is a home fixture with struggling Southgate this weekend.