International fencers join Archway club for training camp
- Credit: Archant
Archway club Fighting Fit launched their new season this week with an international training camp that attracted some of the world’s best young fencers.
The club, who have recently moved to Mount Carmel School, welcomed athletes from the United States and across Europe to train alongside their homegrown talent.
All the visiting fencers are in the Under-20 category – just below senior level – and included Italian fencer Camilla Rivano, ranked second in the world, and Hungary’s Daniel Dosa, who is ranked fifth.
Rivano said: “When you have a good world ranking, you have a lot of opportunities to go to a lot of different training camps.
“I had heard a lot of good things about Fighting Fit and when I received their invitation to come to London, I accepted straight away.”
You may also want to watch:
Fighting Fit’s own young fencers were in no doubt that the opportunity to work with top internationals will prove beneficial to their own prospects in the sport.
Kate Beardmore, who won silver and bronze medals at the recent junior Commonwealth Championships in South Africa, said: “I know I still have a long way to go to get good results on a world stage.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 4 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 5 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 9 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 10 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
“Having three girls from the Italian national team here to spar with will really help me to achieve my goals.”
The club run regular beginners’ classes for both children and adults who want to learn to fence.
For further information about Fighting Fit fencing classes, call Jed on 07832 241 215.