International fencers join Archway club for training camp
- Credit: Archant
Archway club Fighting Fit launched their new season this week with an international training camp that attracted some of the world’s best young fencers.
The club, who have recently moved to Mount Carmel School, welcomed athletes from the United States and across Europe to train alongside their homegrown talent.
All the visiting fencers are in the Under-20 category – just below senior level – and included Italian fencer Camilla Rivano, ranked second in the world, and Hungary’s Daniel Dosa, who is ranked fifth.
Rivano said: “When you have a good world ranking, you have a lot of opportunities to go to a lot of different training camps.
“I had heard a lot of good things about Fighting Fit and when I received their invitation to come to London, I accepted straight away.”
You may also want to watch:
Fighting Fit’s own young fencers were in no doubt that the opportunity to work with top internationals will prove beneficial to their own prospects in the sport.
Kate Beardmore, who won silver and bronze medals at the recent junior Commonwealth Championships in South Africa, said: “I know I still have a long way to go to get good results on a world stage.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
“Having three girls from the Italian national team here to spar with will really help me to achieve my goals.”
The club run regular beginners’ classes for both children and adults who want to learn to fence.
For further information about Fighting Fit fencing classes, call Jed on 07832 241 215.