Islington academy scoop medal haul at national championships
- Credit: Archant
Islington youngster Luan Veras teamed up with his brother to win a gold medal – before defeating him to claim another at the English National Championships.
The nine-year-old joined forces with Liam, 8, and Emre Oner as the trio – all from Sacred Heart RC School – took gold in the Under-nine team fight category at Ponds Forge International Sports Centre, Sheffield.
Liam had already collected a silver medal in the Under-nine individual kata, but he was restricted to bronze in the fight section by Luan, who overcame his brother in the semi-final en route to the championship.
The brothers’ success was part of an outstanding tournament for the Veras Academy squad, who returned to London with an impressive overall haul of 10 medals.
Patricia Perote, Bernadette Urrutia and Dawn Kavanagh secured the squad’s third gold medal of the championships, winning the senior female team fight category.
You may also want to watch:
Perote also put up a strong performance to take bronze in the senior female individual kumite Over-68kg open grade, while Urrutia gained a bronze medal in the veterans’ individual fight.
Nine-year-old Paddy Gemmell, from Torriano Junior School, Camden, improved on her performance from the previous year’s tournament as she won the silver medal in the Under-nine individual fight category.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 6 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 9 Islington dog stars in film that will be shown at London Film Festival
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
There were also bronze medals for another Torriano student, 10-year-old Lucienne Brown, in the 10-11 years’ individual fight section, and Luke Kavanagh and Archie Gemmell in the team event.
The remaining members of the Veras Academy squad – Luca Veras, Andrew Egbunike and Shaida Khalik – performed impressively without featuring on the honours board.
For more information about the club, who train at Ringcross Community Centre, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk