Islington academy scoop medal haul at national championships
- Credit: Archant
Islington youngster Luan Veras teamed up with his brother to win a gold medal – before defeating him to claim another at the English National Championships.
The nine-year-old joined forces with Liam, 8, and Emre Oner as the trio – all from Sacred Heart RC School – took gold in the Under-nine team fight category at Ponds Forge International Sports Centre, Sheffield.
Liam had already collected a silver medal in the Under-nine individual kata, but he was restricted to bronze in the fight section by Luan, who overcame his brother in the semi-final en route to the championship.
The brothers’ success was part of an outstanding tournament for the Veras Academy squad, who returned to London with an impressive overall haul of 10 medals.
Patricia Perote, Bernadette Urrutia and Dawn Kavanagh secured the squad’s third gold medal of the championships, winning the senior female team fight category.
You may also want to watch:
Perote also put up a strong performance to take bronze in the senior female individual kumite Over-68kg open grade, while Urrutia gained a bronze medal in the veterans’ individual fight.
Nine-year-old Paddy Gemmell, from Torriano Junior School, Camden, improved on her performance from the previous year’s tournament as she won the silver medal in the Under-nine individual fight category.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Islington shooting victim named
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
There were also bronze medals for another Torriano student, 10-year-old Lucienne Brown, in the 10-11 years’ individual fight section, and Luke Kavanagh and Archie Gemmell in the team event.
The remaining members of the Veras Academy squad – Luca Veras, Andrew Egbunike and Shaida Khalik – performed impressively without featuring on the honours board.
For more information about the club, who train at Ringcross Community Centre, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk