Islington Admiral complete memorable treble
- Credit: Archant
Invitation Cup success ends superb season
Islington Admiral United completed a memorable treble by lifting the Invitation Cup.
Having already won the Islington Midweek League title and Islington Gazette Cup, they faced Islington 49ers and saw defences dominate during the first half.
Ahmet Rifat sent an early chance wide, while Yemi Buraimoh saw his shot saved, and 49ers were reduced to 10 men after 25 minutes when Rifat was shown a red card.
The setback spurred Admiral on and they took the lead on 40 minutes when Jake King released Buraimoh for a precise finish to open the scoring.
You may also want to watch:
The start of the second half saw 49ers throw everything at Admiral’s defence, but Kevin Duffy, Andrew White, Aaron Hutchins and Tyrone Husbands held firm.
Goalkeeper Jason Hartles stopped everything that came his way and Admiral doubled their lead against the run of play when Chris Bourne’s shot proved too hot for Robbie Almond to handle.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
Jason Edwards worked tirelessly in midfield to deny 49ers a reply, but Admiral lost Husbands to injury on 65 minutes and then saw King sent off soon after.
The deficit was halved with 15 minutes remaining when Paul Wright curled a 25-yard free-kick around the Admiral wall for the first 49ers goal, only for them to be reduced to nine men when Nicky Rifat was given his marching orders.
Frankie Notaro then hit a post for 49ers, with Aaron Hutchins doing the same for Admiral after good work from Ashley Taylor-Forbes, but it was all square with normal time almost up when David Leard headed past Hartles.
There was time for one more twist, though, as Mariusz Serwin forced his way into the box and fired past the helpless Almond to seal an amazing season for Anthony Clark, Edwards and their Admiral team.
Long-serving secretary Steve O’Neill said: “I’ve never seen a game as tense and exciting as this. What a fantastic advertisement for the Islington Midweek League and a breathtaknig way to clinch our first-ever treble!”
Admiral: Hartles, Duffy, White, Hutchins, Husbands, Buraimoh, Edwards, King, Donoghue, Bourne, Taylor-Forbes, Loucas, Ceylan, Serwin, Tesim, Gardner.