Islington Admiral youth team unveil new kit to honour Ben Kinsella and Henry Hicks
- Credit: Archant
Islington Admiral have honoured the memory of two former players who died in tragic circumstances by displaying their names on the Under-16s’ new kit.
The team, who play in the Camden & Islington League at Market Road, have a new logo on the front of their shirts, bearing the names of the Ben Kinsella Trust and the Henry Hicks Foundation.
Kinsella, a 16-year-old student at Holloway School, was stabbed to death in 2008, while Hicks, 18, died in a moped crash following a police chase almost two years ago.
Both boys played for the Hawks team that eventually merged with Admiral and their families gave permission for the logos to appear on the new Acerbis kits.
Under-16s manager John Tumbridge said: “We’re all families from the Barnsbury area and we wanted to respect the memory of the boys and their families and keep everyone in mind of what happened to them.
You may also want to watch:
“I’d like to thank the London Trophy Company for organising the kits and helping us out by doing a really good deal.”
Admiral have so far made an inconsistent start to their campaign in the combined Under-16 and Under-17 division, losing 5-1 to TT Sapo Verde and 3-0 to AC United but overcoming Fusion 2-1 and Somers Town 4-1.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 6 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 7 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 10 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
Tumbridge added: “It’s a fairly new team that only came together last season and at the moment they’re pushing in the right direction.
“Every game is a step forward and we’ll be looking to try and finish in the top three. I think they’re good enough to achieve that.”
Anyone interested in joining the club, on the playing or coaching side, should call 07956 550 441.