Islington boxers ready for national finals
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from Islington Boxing Club
Seven Islington boxers have England Boxing National Development Championships finals to look forward to on Sunday.
Laura Weis, Masood Abdullah, Slavisa Gegic, Sunni Torgman, Chris Cunningham, Lina Dhayrtkar and Charlotte Briant are all due in action in Banbury this weekend.
The septet all progressed from scheduled semi-finals at the Oasis Leisure Centre, Swindon last Saturday.
Gegic and Torgman both progressed with second-round stoppages in their bouts in the under-69kg Class B and under-60kg Class B categories respectively.
You may also want to watch:
There were unanimous wins for Abdullah in his under-60kg Class B bout and Cunningham in his under-75kg Class B fight, while Weis won here under-54kg Class A category semi-final on a split decision.
Dhayrtkar and Briant, meanwhile, were both given byes in the under-51kg Class A and under-75kg Class B categories respectively.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 6 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
*Three Islington prospects travelled to the Small Holdings ABC Open Show at Tooting & Mitcham FC last weekend.
George Hobden took on home hope George Coppock in a skills bout to continue both of their developments in the ring.
Bek Ikromkhonov took on Jay Tingley of Small Holdings and won by split decision.
Cianan Campbell unfortunately had to retire from his bout against home prospect Tony McCarthy.
Sunday also saw two Islington hopes in action on a Sunbury ABC show, but Maximilian Glenister and James Adesilu were both beaten on split decisions.
At the White Hart Lane Open show on Saturday, Bobby Moore made his debut in club colours with a skills contest against the home club’s Archie O’Neon.
Ikromkhonov was also in action on this show, taking on White Hart Lane’s Paddy McDonagh.
Isaac Gibson was able to record a unanimous victory over home rival Michael Casey, but Ryan Rubanski lost via split decision to White Hart Lane’s Nicholas Lecointe-Akore.
On Friday, Kemai Price lost by unanimous decision to Dagenham’s Shaun Stewart.