Islington boxers ready for national finals
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from Islington Boxing Club
Seven Islington boxers have England Boxing National Development Championships finals to look forward to on Sunday.
Laura Weis, Masood Abdullah, Slavisa Gegic, Sunni Torgman, Chris Cunningham, Lina Dhayrtkar and Charlotte Briant are all due in action in Banbury this weekend.
The septet all progressed from scheduled semi-finals at the Oasis Leisure Centre, Swindon last Saturday.
Gegic and Torgman both progressed with second-round stoppages in their bouts in the under-69kg Class B and under-60kg Class B categories respectively.
You may also want to watch:
There were unanimous wins for Abdullah in his under-60kg Class B bout and Cunningham in his under-75kg Class B fight, while Weis won here under-54kg Class A category semi-final on a split decision.
Dhayrtkar and Briant, meanwhile, were both given byes in the under-51kg Class A and under-75kg Class B categories respectively.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 7 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 8 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 9 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 10 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
*Three Islington prospects travelled to the Small Holdings ABC Open Show at Tooting & Mitcham FC last weekend.
George Hobden took on home hope George Coppock in a skills bout to continue both of their developments in the ring.
Bek Ikromkhonov took on Jay Tingley of Small Holdings and won by split decision.
Cianan Campbell unfortunately had to retire from his bout against home prospect Tony McCarthy.
Sunday also saw two Islington hopes in action on a Sunbury ABC show, but Maximilian Glenister and James Adesilu were both beaten on split decisions.
At the White Hart Lane Open show on Saturday, Bobby Moore made his debut in club colours with a skills contest against the home club’s Archie O’Neon.
Ikromkhonov was also in action on this show, taking on White Hart Lane’s Paddy McDonagh.
Isaac Gibson was able to record a unanimous victory over home rival Michael Casey, but Ryan Rubanski lost via split decision to White Hart Lane’s Nicholas Lecointe-Akore.
On Friday, Kemai Price lost by unanimous decision to Dagenham’s Shaun Stewart.