Islington BC star chases national title in Liverpool
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC’s Reece Shagourie is a step closer to national glory after overcoming tough Royal Navy boxer Ben Jones to reach the England Elite Boxing Championships quarter-finals.
Middleweight Shagourie travels to Liverpool’s Echo Arena for his last eight contest on Friday, with the semi-finals and final due to take place over the next two days at the same venue.
The Islington southpaw had to work hard to defeat Jones in a tight, low-key affair at the Army Sports Centre, Aldershot, last weekend, and book his quarter-final place.
In the opening round, Shagourie’s constant movement enabled him to edge ahead, and his opponent came charging out in the second, only to run into a hard straight left.
The bulk of the action came in the final round, where both fighters missed as many punches as they landed in a series of fierce early exchanges.
You may also want to watch:
But it was Shagourie who had the last word and stamped his authority on proceedings, scoring with two jabs and a left right on the bell to secure a unanimous decision from the judges.
Three of the Hazellville Road club’s elite boxers will feature in a ground-breaking all-female tournament to be showcased during the men’s semi-finals on Saturday.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
Elite female ABA welterweight champion Hazel Gale, who was also a Golden Girl Box Cup gold medallist earlier this year, takes on Suzanne Watson (Power Gym).
Another winner at the Golden Girl Box Cup, light-welterweight Cherrelle Brown – who is unbeaten in 11 contests – will be in action against Laura Kelly (Gorton).
Lightweight Valerian Spicer, who is aiming to box for Dominica in the Commonwealth Games later this summer, completes the Islington trio as she faces Sandy Ryan (Pegasus).
Lion ABC’s Louis Isaacs will appear as a guest boxer for Islington in their open show next month at the Boston Dome, Tufnell Park.
Islington take on a team from Olympic BC, Galway, on Thursday May 8, having narrowly triumphed 7-5 in the first meeting between the clubs earlier in the season.
The show gets under way at 8pm. For ticket information, call 07921 724 601 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.