Islington BC trio impress as a new amateur season gets underway with winning style
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club got the new amateur season off to a good start with three impressive performances on the road.
Masood Abdullah (61kg) had a warm-up bout ahead of the Development Championships against Double Jab’s Chijjoke Amechi at Wheelshunter Social Club in New Cross.
And Abdullah comfortably won all three rounds with his constant pressure and ring craft proving too much for Amechi in a unanimous points win.
It was a particularly pleasing win for the Islington man, after a disappointing loss in the Haringey Box Cup in June which was his first and only defeat to date after winning his first five contests.
Islington’s Ella Gilbert also appeared in a warm-up contest before the Development Championships against Doneisha Saddler on a Dynamo ABC dinner show held at the Croydon Hilton Hotel.
You may also want to watch:
And Gilbert used her jab to good effect to put Saddler on her back foot during the contest and win via a unanimous decision in her first contest since victory on an Islington BC open show in December 2016.
Injuries had prevented Gilbert from competing as often as she would have liked, but it is hoped she will be able to continue on a regular basis.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 7 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 9 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 10 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
Junior boxer Arlando Mrijai (66kg) had his first skills contest against Alfie Pickering (Hillcrest ABC) on a Hillcrest ABC show at Peacehaven Meridian Centre, East Sussex.
And junior club coaches Zowie Campbell and Chad Ouzman were very pleased with Mrijai’s performance and feel it will not be long now until he’s ready for his first competitive contest.
Islington entered 20 boxers in the Development Championships, with Joshua Strong (Junior A) and Masood Abdulah (Senior A) in under-60kg action on Saturday at Feltham’s Springwest Academy.
Newcomer Joseph Cronin (Junior B) and Senior B trio Emmanuel Ally, Matesurz Szczepkowski and Temour Djauojan will box in finals at Tottenham Sports Centre on Sunday, with Scott Smart and Jiyan Oguz drawn to box each other. Boxing starts at 1pm.
Sunni Torgman (under-57kg), Ella Gilbert (under-60kg), Nina Weber (under-64kg), Charlotte Briant (under-75kg) and Amy Pu (under-60kg) have byes to the national stages of the female championships on October 8.